Imagine a drink that not only cools you down on a hot summer day, but also provides a burst of flavor and many health benefits! We are talking about spiced buttermilk or more commonly known as masala chaas, a refreshing and nutritious drink that is also a great summer digestive aid. With its unique blend of spices, herbs and tangy buttermilk, this drink is not only a treat for your taste buds, but also a tonic for your body and soul. So whether you’re looking for a delicious and healthy alternative to sugary drinks or just want to explore new flavors, spiced buttermilk is the perfect drink for you. Let’s take a look at how to make spiced buttermilk at home.
Spiced buttermilk can be enjoyed at any time of the day. It is made by combining buttermilk with various spices to create a tasty and filling drink. It is a popular drink in many parts of the world, especially in India, where it is known as “lassi”.
Benefits of spiced buttermilk or chaas
Spiced buttermilk or masala chaas comes with several health benefits. According to a study published in the International Journal of Scientific Research and Management, buttermilk is a rich source of calcium, protein and vitamins, making it an excellent choice for those who want to maintain a healthy diet. The spices used in the buttermilk, such as cumin, coriander and black pepper, are known for their digestive properties, helping to improve digestion and relieve bloating and indigestion.
Spiced buttermilk is also a low-calorie drink, making it a good option for those watching their weight. Additionally, the fresh herbs like mint and coriander used in the recipe are loaded with antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties, making this drink even more beneficial for overall health and well-being.
Curd vs Buttermilk: Which is a Better Summer Cooler for Your Body?
How to make spiced buttermilk?
*2 cups buttermilk
*1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
*1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
*1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
*1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
*1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
1. Start by gathering all the necessary ingredients. Make sure the buttermilk is at room temperature.
2. Combine cumin powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, red chili powder and salt in a small bowl. Mix well.
3. Whisk the buttermilk in a large bowl until smooth and frothy.
4. Add the spice mixture to the buttermilk and whisk again to combine.
5. Add the chopped mint and coriander leaves and stir well.
6. Taste the spiced buttermilk and adjust the seasoning to your liking. You can add more salt or seasoning if needed.
7. Chill the spiced buttermilk in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
8. When ready to serve, stir the spiced buttermilk thoroughly and pour into glasses. Garnish with a sprig of mint or coriander leaves, if desired.
Also try: Stay cool this summer with cool and creamy cucumber chaas: Learn the recipe right away
You can also add different flavors to the spiced buttermilk by adding fruits like mango or strawberries. So go ahead and give this delicious and healthy drink a try!